Friday 17 August 2012

IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN-----LASUTH OFFERS APPOLOGY

Benedict Uwalaka, Leadership nwspaper photo journalist who was battered at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, LASUTH, on Thursday 9 August while on duty, has been offered cash compensation, P.M.NEWS has learnt.
The cash compensation was offered by TOS Funerals, managers of LASUTH mortuary, whose staff battered the journalist while covering the release of the bodies of the victims of Dana crash to their relatives.
Speaking with P.M.NEWS Friday morning,
Uwalaka said that he had been called upon to collect a cheque at LASUTH but was yet to make up his mind.
“They apologised yesterday and said I should go to LASUTH and collect a cheque, but I have not gone,” Uwalaka said.
“This is not just about money. I told them they can go and buy my camera themselves but they said I should go for the cheque. I do not want this to be a money matter. It is not about beating me up and calling me to collect money afterwards.”
Uwalaka told P.M.NEWS that he had been invited by LASUTH this morning for meeting with the management as investigation into the matter continues.
With apologies and compensation, it was not clear if the Nigeria Union of Journalists, NUJ, would still go ahead with its intended legal action.

No comments:

Post a Comment